Chromebook Usage Policy
Chromebook Usage Policy
As a student at Menno Simons Christian School, you have been issued a Chromebook to enhance your educational experience and to support the learning outcomes outlined by Alberta Education. This is a privilege that requires ethical and appropriate use of technology as a digital citizen.
As with any piece of technology within the school, you are required to follow the Palliser Regional School Division Technology Access and Use Policy. In addition, you are required to follow Menno Simons Christian School’s Chromebook policies and procedures, and to follow classroom and school policies in respect to the use of this tool for your education. As your educators, we expect that you will be prepared to do the following to ensure you get the most out of this educational tool:
- Chromebooks will be distributed to students for use during the regular school year. Students at Menno Simons Christian School will receive a Chromebook, power adapter and a space in a charge cart. Chromebooks will be stored over the summer months and the same device will be re-issued to students in the following school year
- All Chromebooks are inventoried and labelled with identification information. Students are not permitted to tamper with identification labels.
- As the Chromebooks are property of Menno Simons Christian School, damage, loss or theft of the property will be treated seriously and dealt with accordingly on a case-by-case basis within the school policy. Students are expected to show reasonable care in the use of the technology, as outlined in the Chromebook care section of this document.
- Students are responsible for the daily care of the Chromebook. Any damage, loss or theft must be reported to school staff immediately.
- Any technical issues with the Chromebook must be reported to Menno Simons staff immediately. This includes but is not limited to: battery issues, loss of network connectivity, Chrome OS issues, screen display issues, malfunctioning USB ports, keyboard malfunctions, and other hardware problems.
- Any hardware or software repairs that are not caused by misuse are covered without cost to the student. If repairs are required and determined to be necessary, students will be issued a temporary replacement while their assigned Chromebook is being repaired.
- Any damage caused by misuse of the Chromebook will be the responsibility of the student parents/guardians.
- A case is strongly recommended to protect the exterior casing. Cases can be purchased on Amazon.ca or found at Walmart. (The iPearl 11.6 G3 HP Chromebook casing will fit properly)
- Chromebooks are to be stored in the cart and plugged in properly every day. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the Chromebook is charged and ready for class.
- Transport Chromebooks with care. Unplug the power cord and close the lid of the Chromebook when it is being carried.
- Keep books and other items off of the Chromebook.
- Food and drink should be kept away from the Chromebook. Water bottles for the classroom should be in containers with a closed lid.
- The Chromebook must remain free of any writing, drawing or stickers. The only exception to this rule is the identification sticker with the student’s name, which will be attached by school staff at the beginning of the year.
- Chromebooks should never be left unattended in public areas (eg. hallways, community rooms, atrium).
- Students are expected to follow the Palliser Technology Use Policy.
- The student whose name, system account and Chromebook hardware is issued will be responsible at all times for its appropriate use. Other students are not permitted to use the device.
- The Chromebook is an academic tool. It is not to be used for activities that are outside of academic requirements. (games, chatting, instant messaging, Google Hangouts)
- Students may not share their user information and passwords with one another.
- Headphones may be used at the discretion of the teacher.
- Students may not use their Chromebook to take pictures or record their classmates.
- Students are responsible to bring their Chromebook to all class, unless specifically advised not to do so by their teacher.
- If access to technology at home is limited, the student has the option to bring the Chromebook home but is expected to ensure that the Chromebook is at school for class use.